The Motor Sports Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 13, 2007, 09:48:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RIS photo gallery is now available online - including many of the older images.  Images from the Indy 500 and Allstate 400 at the Brickyard are among many new photos online.
7156 Posts in 7067 Topics by 89 Members
Latest Member: George Main
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Motor Sports Forum
|-+  The Motor Sports Forum
| |-+  Racing News and Notes
| | |-+  Andy Hillenburg Buys North Carolina Speedway
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Andy Hillenburg Buys North Carolina Speedway  (Read 40 times)
Ron Fleshman
Administrator
Racing commentor

« on: October 02, 2007, 03:26:56 PM »

ROCKINGHAM, NC - RIS - The new owner of North Carolina Speedway is Andy Hillenburg.  Hillenburg bught the speedway at auction for $4.4 million and plans to bring professional racing back to the venue.

The speedway, which had sit empty since a NASCAR Nextel Cup race in February, 2004, was owned by Bruton Smith of Speedway Motorsports.  He obtained it a lawsuit over a second racing date at his Texas speedway and immediately closed it.  On Tuesday, he unloaded the 250-acre piece of racing history, which is north of Rockingham, about 100 miles southwest of Raleigh.

Hillenburg had the distinction of being the favorite of Richmond County officials  who tried to persuade Smith to negotiate directly with him, but Smith would have none of it and continued his plans for the auction.  Hillenburg plans to have an event scheduled "within 12 months," and hinted that it might be an ARCA race.

"You can't make this work with just a few events a year," Hillenburg said.  "We're looking at all kinds of events.  Flea markets, car shows, big events, and our driving school will all be a part of the facility.  I've also been active in the motion picture industry, so that might figure into this too."

Hillenburg also noted that although the racing surface was in excellent condition, there was no equipment to be found to start a race.  "Most of the place is in excellent condition.  The luxury boxes are in good condition.  The concesson stands need some work.  I wish I could go into my office and start today, but that's not possible."

Also not included in the sale was the large grandstand on the backstretch which is currently being torn down.  Hillenburg admitted that he had no idea who was doing it or where it was going.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: