The Motor Sports Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2007, 05:25:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
7293 Posts in 7203 Topics by 90 Members
Latest Member: Bill Wervey
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Motor Sports Forum
|-+  The Motor Sports Forum
| |-+  NASCAR News
| | |-+  NASCAR Nextel Cup Series News
| | | |-+  NEXTEL Cup Series PR
| | | | |-+  CHEVROLET - Martin Truex, Jr hauler Chat - Talladega
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CHEVROLET - Martin Truex, Jr hauler Chat - Talladega  (Read 36 times)
Ron Fleshman
Administrator
Racing commentor

« on: October 05, 2007, 02:15:31 PM »

Martin Truex, Jr., No. 1 Bass Pro Shops/Tracker Boats Impala SS, met with members of the media at Talladega Superspeedway and discussed on Sunday's first superspeedway race with the Impala SS new-generation NASCAR race car; on drivers with less experience, Jacques Villeneuve, Aric Almirola and Sam Hornish, attempting to make starts at Talladega Superspeedway; on working with teammates here at Talladega; thoughts on the "Big One" at Talladega; on concerns about new-generation car at Talladega, on surviving here without any more hit in the point standings and on next week's race at Lowe's Motor Speedway.

Selected quotes from driver interview:

ON FIRST PRACTICE: "We were trying not to run in to each other out there to hard.  If a guy in front of you gets out of the draft or gets slowed down, you catch them really, really fast. You just try to ease up on his bumper and touch him and then go to push him.  So far, so good. It wasn't too bad out there. It is a lot more like the Busch cars are than the old car we used to run here. They suck up real good, it is hard to lead. If you get out of line, you get real slow, real fast. It is going to be interesting, I am sure it will be exciting."

ON WORKING WITH TEAMMATES SUNDAY: "We will try, we got together in practice for a lap and that was the longest we could stay together. There is just so much going on out there, you are just doing what you can to stay in the right line. Hopefully, we will be able to get out there and work together. I have more teammates now that I have ever had. Hopefully we will be able to get together with some of them and see what we can do."

ON ALMIROLA, VILLENEUVE AND HORNISH ATTEMPTING TO MAKE STARTS AT TALLADEGA: "I think it will be fine. I think they realize what they are in, realize what they are up against, I think they will be very patient and try to be smart. I think they will listen to their spotters and not take any chances hopefully and they should be fine."

ON THE "BIG ONE" ON SUNDAY: "We have been in the wrong place at the wrong time the last two weeks straight. It is pretty frustrating, especially when we have had cars as good as we have had. The same thing goes for here; you never know what can happen. Hopefully we got ours out of the way and we will be able to stay out of it this time. But you never know, you have to go out there and race and do what you can do. Try to stay near the front if you can and hope and pray it doesn't happen around you."

ON VISIBILITY FROM COCKPIT HERE AT TALLADEGA: "My concerns are the same as they have always been, just that big wreck. You hoping you aren't in it, especially with the position we are in the points. We can't afford it. We have had two bad weeks as I said earlier. It is harder to see through them (the new-generation Impala SS) for sure, but I don't think that is a big concern. It is more about that big wreck and whoever makes the first big mistake. We just have to hope we are not in it because we can't afford another DNF.

"The last two times we have been here, it hasn't been bad. We finished fifth or seventh the last two races here. I don't know, we will see. You never know. I am hoping the last two weeks will make up for it and the racing Gods will be kind to us this weekend.  There are no guarantees.  It is what it is. It has been pretty rough. I have been pretty disappointed about how things have gone the last two weeks. We will just do what we can and hope for the best. We will go out there and run strong. Our car is really really good right now. I am real happy with it. We will do what we can and just hope we aren't in it."

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: