The Motor Sports Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2007, 11:33:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
7226 Posts in 7136 Topics by 90 Members
Latest Member: Rulietta
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Motor Sports Forum
|-+  The Motor Sports Forum
| |-+  Champ Car World Series News
| | |-+  Champ Car World Series PR
| | | |-+  CCWS-SJC-Friday Driver Quotes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CCWS-SJC-Friday Driver Quotes  (Read 51 times)
Mary Campbell
Champ Car Editor
RIS Editor
Racing fanatic

« on: July 27, 2007, 05:26:42 PM »

Sebastien Bourdais #1 McDonalds Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 1st) - "The first run I spent more time on the escape road than on the track. We have a brake issue, we know that. But we didn't have any time to fix it at lunchtime. We have variable brake values that keeps on tricking me; one locks the rears and one locks the fronts, and I'm still not changing anything. It's very difficult out there. Second run we were just trying to find the gap, and every time we had something, where we were like, yeah, it's going to be all right, then someone would run in escape road and someone would end up backing off, so we couldn't do that. I finally got one opportunity and I still don't know quite how it worked out, but we made it stick, and the brake values didn't play any tricks with me, so I was pretty happy about the outcome because it didn't look really good for a long, long time."

Justin Wilson #9 CDW Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 2nd) - "I think we're just starting to find our speed and work things out. It was quite a difficult start to the year with all the changes going on, but we've managed to work through that and try and understand what this car needs. I'm pleased that we're making progress and we can do it on the street circuit this year, which is quite nice compared to the last couple of seasons. We've just got a little bit more work to do and I'm sure we can do it and hopefully get the number 9 CDW car right up there and qualify in the pole tomorrow."

Will Power #5 Aussie Vineyards Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 3rd) - "It's not going to rain here, so for me, it's either number one today or nothing. Obviously we've got to go out and try to get the pole tomorrow so we can get front row start or second if Sebastien is on pole, and race away."

Bruno Junqueira #19 Sonny's Bar-B-Q Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 4th) - "I was quite pleased with the performance of the car both this morning where I was fifth quickest and again this afternoon when I was fourth fastest. The car has been a little difficult to drive, but it has been very fast. I hope that tomorrow that we can crack the top three."

Alex Tagliani #8 RSPORTS Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 5th) - "It's the start of a good weekend. We had a pretty good car this afternoon on the first set of tires, but we did not have a completely clean lap. We got in a situation where we caught up with a lot of guys, but we are pretty confident that we could have been on the pole today with the car we had. When we went out on the second set of tires and we didn't improve. We missed on the fine tuning of the set up for the second set of tires and we ended up fifth. But that is not too bad, because I am very pleased with the #8 RSPORTS car right now. I think if we get it a little bit closer tomorrow then we are going to fight to qualifying in the top three."

Robert Doornbos #14 Team Minardi USA Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 6th) - "I'm happy to be in sunny California. This track is like a mini-Monaco to me, it's really fun to drive. The team has done a fantastic job of bouncing back from our weekend in Edmonton, and we're quite comfortable with things today. We're getting faster and faster every time on track, and we would have been on the front row if it hadn't been for the traffic, which I'm sure is an issue for everyone. We'll have another chance tomorrow."

Oriol Servia #7 INDECK Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 7th) - "It's a little disappointing because we were very close to the front, this is a very short track so small differences on track make a big difference on the grid. You are conservative through a couple of corners, you don't gamble enough and it really hurts you, if you are a little cautious and loose a tenth here and a tenth there and that can make the difference between P3 and P12. But it really says a lot about this championship and how good the teams and the drivers are, it is extremely competitive, now we just need to be more towards the front."

Simon Pagenaud #15 Aussie Vineyards Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 8th) - "I don't know what happened, the Aussie Vineyards car just doesn't react the same way that it did this morning. We are struggling with braking issues. It's tough to explain. We need to look over the data to understand better and hopefully tomorrow we will go quicker."

Tristan Gommendy #22 Pay By Tough-Megaspiera Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 9th) - "The Pay By Touch MegaSpirea team had a problem with the engine and then I messed up the tires this morning, so we really didn't know how fast we were. The team was mad about our performance this morning, but I told them that the car didn't feel that far off. In qualifying we had a good first stint, but on the second stint I got caught in some traffic. We do need to improve the car, but we are very close. I really think we have a top-five car. We just didn't get it done today."

"Speedy" Dan Clarke #4 Team Minardi USA Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 10th) - "Not a bad start to the weekend, but we still haven't got our handling sorted out. We made a lot of changes today, and we're getting closer. We'll go back and look at the data, and work out what direction to take. I'm confident we'll improve tomorrow, traffic allowing."

Paul Tracy #3 INDECK Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 11th) - "It's been a frustrating day for sure; I just can't get a decent lap in. We've been having a lot of inconsistency under braking and every time I try to push and find some time I'm just locking up all over the place, I just can't get the car to stop. We have a lot of work to do so we can figure out what is going on and what we need to do to fix it, we need the car to be more consistent so I know when I can push and when I can't without any big surprises."

Jan Heylen #34 Champ Car Grand Prix of Belgium Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 12th) - "I really think we did the best that we could this afternoon," said Heylen. "Everything went smoothly; I just don't think that there was much more in the car. We're going to have to go back tonight and figure out how to make the car better for tomorrow. We're not far off so I think that if we can go in the right direction we can improve a couple of spots at the final qualifying session. Twelfth just isn't good enough for us so we'll be eager to advance tomorrow."

Graham Rahal #2 Medi | Zone Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 13th) - "I just brushed the outside wall in Turn 2. I am totally disappointed because on that lap we were up three tenths. If we were off by just that, then we would have gained on our second set of tires then we probably could have been on pole. We have the outright pace, the car feels very good to me, but unfortunately pace is not enough. I really feel bad for the Medi|Zone team, because they worked so hard."

Mario Dominguez #28 Pacific Coast Motorsports Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 14th) - "It was a good first day with Pacific Coast Motorsports. We had a few issues with the electronics that took quite a bit of the session to sort out. The guys did a good job getting me back out there and I appreciate their hard work. The team has been very welcoming, they are very professional and I would never believe they are a rookie team, they are really on top of their game. I thought we would have a better session this afternoon in qualifying, I am disappointed to be 14th. We actually went backwards with our set-up this afternoon but we've got a good idea for tomorrow."

Katherine Legge #11 Dale Coyne Racing Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 15th) - "Qualifying was disappointing for us today. We have a good car, but with all the traffic on the track we couldn't get enough room to make a good run in qualifying today. Hopefully tomorrow we will have the chance to get a good lap in and get a better qualifying spot for the race."

Alex Figge #29 Pacific Coast Motorsports Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 16th) - "It is the first time here for both Burke (Harrison - race engineer) and I and we are not quite there yet. We made a lot of changes through the day and I would say we made progress. When we start tomorrow, we will be off on the right foot with what I think will be the right idea. The brake zones here are awesome. They are so deep and I think they will make the race interesting."

Neel Jani #21 Red Bull-Gulfstream Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 17th) - "It was a very bad day for the Red Bull Gulfstream PKV Racing team. This is the first time in my racing career I was last in both a practice and qualifying session on the same day. We have a lot of problems, so we are just going to have to fix them for final qualifying tomorrow."

Mary Campbell
Champ Car Editor
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: