The Motor Sports Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2007, 11:32:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
7226 Posts in 7136 Topics by 90 Members
Latest Member: Rulietta
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Motor Sports Forum
|-+  The Motor Sports Forum
| |-+  Champ Car World Series News
| | |-+  Champ Car World Series PR
| | | |-+  CCWS-SJC-Satruday Driver Quotes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CCWS-SJC-Satruday Driver Quotes  (Read 68 times)
Mary Campbell
Champ Car Editor
RIS Editor
Racing fanatic

« on: July 28, 2007, 06:15:31 PM »

Justin Wilson #9 CDW Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 1st) - "It was a very difficult session this morning. We got lost and we were struggling. We had a pretty good lap time early on in the morning practice, but after that we went downhill pretty quickly. We literally went back to yesterday's starting setup and it seemed to work well again. We could then start moving forward this afternoon, and we got there quite quickly. We put the option Bridgestone tires on for both of our stints this afternoon in the final round of qualifying. They worked very well for us. The first stint was good, and the second run was going well, but there was somebody ahead of Will Power who just slowed up every lap for no apparent reason. Fortunately, he backed us up so much that I saved enough fuel to do one extra lap and that was the only clear lap I got in the whole seven laps in our second stint. That allowed us to get pole on the very, very last lap. The obvious advantage of being on the pole here in San Jose is hopefully being first to the first corner, and after that dictating the pace of the race. Then you can just get into a rhythm and start to pull away. Whereas in the past last two years, I started the race in San Jose 9th and 12th. It had been a tough battle of just trying to leapfrog the cars in front either in the pit stops or on the racetrack because you're always trying to catch up. Now, we have the advantage of just being able to sit back and relax and see how the race unfolds. I am just happy that we could put the #9 CDW car on the pole today, and hopefully take it all the way for the win tomorrow for my team, CDW, and all our partners."

Sebastien Bourdais #1 McDonalds Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 2nd) - "Trust me, it's better than this morning. You know, we've been basically struggling all day with realistically one bad rear tire. We only understood our problem when it was too late. And then when we checked -- wanted to check the car on new tires, we got a flat in 15 minutes. So it just looks like nothing was going to be right today. Slowly on the first run, I tried to get things worked out and got another flat spot, so that didn't work. Then we made a pretty sizable improvement for the second run, and that got close, but it was nowhere near good enough for the pole. We had way too much understeer. So I think realistically we're pretty happy with the way it went because we were completely lost this morning and it doesn't happen very often, but it's pretty easy. So I think it puts things back in perspective. That just shows it's very easy to end up P10 in Champ Car. Just very glad we actually pulled one off yesterday because it would have looked pretty bad otherwise."

"Speedy" Dan Clarke #4 Team Minardi USA Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 3rd) - "We just seem to get a good vibe here, not just with the team and the location, but the car seems to like it as well. So we're happy being in San Jose so far. Everything is going well. Being top three for tomorrow, that should let us do what we want to in the race: really work on strategy and not get tripped up by too many people. But it was really close out there. Yesterday everyone was covered by a second. I haven't seen it just yet, but I hear the top seven are within a couple of 10ths of each other. It's really tight. With everybody trying to squeeze onto a small circuit, it was a real - well, there's a lot of words you can use but not many you can print for what it was like out there, just trying to find space for a hot lap."

Oriol Servia #7 INDECK Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 4th) - "I'm very happy, obviously we wanted to be on pole and definitely had a car to be there, but we just couldn't do it. It was all about putting together a perfect lap, I had many laps where we were up a tenth but there was a lot happening today, we just kept having little lockups and small problems every lap. Today it was about hundreds not tenths so tiny things like that really hurt you. I'm pleased that we are competitive and we are in the game, I think we definitely have good car to fight for the win tomorrow."

Neel Jani #21 Red Bull-Gulfstream Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 5th) - "The Red Bull Gulfstream PKV Racing team made good progress from yesterday. It was a good step forward. I am a little disappointed because I think we could have been on the pole. On the second set of tires we should have been a little quicker, but we had a problem with the balance and that cost us. I lost the pole by .112 and I think I should have been in the 48's. Overall, after yesterday I feel good about today, but after being so close to getting the pole it's a little disappointing."

Graham Rahal #2 Medi | Zone Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 6th) - "After being fastest in the morning practice the Medi | Zone team were pretty optimistic for qualifying today. The car was pretty good but at the end of qualifying we had too much understeer which is what kept us out of pole contention. At the same time we took a gamble on when to go out and went earlier than a lot of other people. We felt that the track was probably already it its peak and we went early to get a clear lap but it didn't work out that way. The car is pretty good though so we'll see how the race goes and try to move to the front."

Alex Tagliani #8 RSPORTS Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 7th) - "I want to thank my #8 RSPORTS crew; they gave me a fantastic car this afternoon. We were on a pole lap today, but (Mario) Dominguez t-boned us on our quick lap at the end of the session today. We were on a 48.9 lap, and when he made a mistake in front of me and did not move out of the way he destroyed our lap. The lack of respect cost us the pole, but other then that I am very proud of what my team did to give me a good car. We went on Bridgestone Potenza blacks the whole time and we saved a set of reds for the start of the race tomorrow. Tomorrow we have to start from where we are and just move our way to the front because we have the car to do it."

Tristan Gommendy #22 Pay By Tough-Megaspiera Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 8th) - "The Pay By Touch MegaSpirea team is so close to having a really good car, but we need to improve the car under braking. We have a good setup for the race, but the key to the race is going to be minimizing mistakes. We are all going to make some mistakes tomorrow, but the guy who makes the fewest will win."

Bruno Junqueira #19 Sonny's Bar-B-Q Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 10th) - "I'm not as happy as I was yesterday when I qualified fourth. Even though we could only manage a 10th place starting position today the good thing is that only 16 hundredths of a second separates me from the pole sitter. The other good thing was the car is faster than it was yesterday. So I like my chances in the race tomorrow. I think that we have a good shot at having a podium finish."

Paul Tracy #3 INDECK Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 11th) - "It was extremely close today, we should've gone a bit quickest but we just weren't able to improve with the Red Bridgestone Potenzas on our second stint. It's very frustrating because the field is so tight and not putting a lap in towards the end of qualifying really hurt us. The car has improved quite a bit, we've been having braking problems throughout the weekend but we made changes which improved that situation, I think we will be ok for the race the problem is our starting position"

Jan Heylen #34 Champ Car Grand Prix of Belgium Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 13th) - "We were really hoping for a top ten after our ninth place in the practice session this morning and the tenth place in the warm up just prior to the qualifying session. This is an incredibly close field. Our car seems to be running well but we just missed a couple of tenths of a second which obviously makes a big difference. There were quite a lot of incidents during practice and qualifying so we'll be focusing on a consistent race tomorrow and staying out of any trouble."

Mario Dominguez #28 Pacific Coast Motorsports Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 14th) - "The session didn't go quite as well as we hoped, but I think Tim (Lewis, Race Engineer) made a lot of progress from yesterday and the car is a lot closer to my liking. We are having basic handling issues in every aspect breaking, oversteer and understeer. We made a bunch of changes throughout the day and we're learning, so I guess that is all we can ask for right now. This track is notorious for attrition, so we need to be there at the end."

Robert Doornbos #14 Team Minardi USA Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 15th) - "I don't know what happened in qualifying, but there just wasn't any grip. I kept hoping it was simply a case of waiting for the tire pressures to come up, but I drove around and around, and there was no improvement. It's a very disappointing result, as we were expecting to be on the front two rows of the grid, not the back two. Even back where we are, however, it's possible to do something in tomorrow's race, so now we'll try to understand what happened in qualifying and work on a good race strategy for tomorrow."

Katherine Legge #11 Dale Coyne Racing Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 16th) - "I'm not sure what happened with the car at the end of qualifying today. I couldn't get the car out of second gear. I don't think that my 15th place starting position is a good reflecting of how my car really is. I have a great team and I know they will fix whatever that is wrong with the car. I have had good success here in San Jose as I won the Atlantics race here two years ago so I'm looking forward to the race tomorrow."

Alex Figge #29 Pacific Coast Motorsports Cosworth/DP01/Bridgestone (Qualified 17th) - "We had a lot of push on the red Bridgestone tires, but my team is working hard and together we will improve the car for tomorrow."

Mary Campbell
Champ Car Editor
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: