The Motor Sports Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2007, 11:24:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RIS photo gallery is now available online - including many of the older images.  Images from the Indy 500 and Allstate 400 at the Brickyard are among many new photos online.
7226 Posts in 7136 Topics by 90 Members
Latest Member: Rulietta
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Motor Sports Forum
|-+  The Motor Sports Forum
| |-+  Champ Car World Series News
| | |-+  Champ Car World Series PR
| | | |-+  CCWS-Sailing Away with Robert Doornbos
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CCWS-Sailing Away with Robert Doornbos  (Read 29 times)
Michael F. Hollander
Editor, Racing Information Systems
Administrator
Racing commentor

« on: August 27, 2007, 06:33:28 AM »

DOORNBOS TAKES CHAMP CAR RIVALS SAILING AWAY

MONDAY, 27 AUGUST: Robert Doornbos is set to provide his fellow Champ Car drivers with a unique insight into Dutch culture as the Champ Car World Series moves from Zolder in Belgium to this week's Bavaria Beer Champ Car Grand Prix of Holland presented by Audi, Gant, Hertz, Jumbo and Pioneer.

The Dutchman will be joined by Katherine Legge, Oriol Servia, Dan Clarke, and Champ Car Atlantic driver Franck Perera aboard "botters" tomorrow – a traditional Dutch sailing boat used for fishing.

Holding between 12-14 people, the "botters" were first used in the early 19th century. The Champ Car aces will gather in the traditional Dutch fishing village of Spakenburg – located about 50km from Amsterdam.

"It is certainly going to be a much easier pace than driving a Champ Car, but I'm sure all the guys are still going to be competitive tomorrow," Doornbos said.

"Whether we're aboard a DP01 or a 100-year-old fishing boat – drivers can't help themselves. I am sure everyone will want to be the first boat across the line."

DALZIEL HEADS TO SCOTTISH HOMELAND WITH TEAMMATE

In the break between Champ Car's two European events, Scottish driver Ryan Dalziel is taking the chance to educate his teammate Alex Figge about Scottish culture.

The two Pacific Coast Motorsports drivers flew to Glasgow this morning - Alex's first trip to his team-mate's home country.

Being so close to home, Ryan had a 40-strong contingent of friends in Zolder yesterday - joining his parents who attend every race weekend of the Champ Car World Series.

Dalziel completed his second race yesterday after returning from a broken collarbone. The Scotsman missed the San Jose Grand Prix after suffering the injury falling off his mountain bike.

His shoulder is still tender but healing at miracle speed! The team has installed a special belt system with extra padding. His return at Road America was short of a miracle.

If the track had not run clockwise, he would not have been able to compete. His collarbone was broken in five places - he also has 11 pins holding it in place.

"It was great to get another race under by my belt yesterday - the shoulder is starting to feel a lot better," Dalziel said.

"I am looking forward to taking Alex to Scotland - it is certainly going to seem a lot different for a Colorado boy. I'll do my best to get him to try haggis and wear a kilt but I think that might be a bit of a challenge!”

Posted by:

Michael F. Hollander, Editor
Racing Information Systems
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: